One World Week 2015 takes place from November 14-22.
This year's theme is The Sustainable Development Goals and YOUth where we view the new global agreement through the lens of the 5Ps - People, Planet, Prosperity, Peace, and Partnership. We also look at the silent P that is Participation.
One World Week is a week of youth-led awareness raising, education and action that takes place throughout Ireland during the third week in November every year. During One World Week young people learn about local and global justice issues and are empowered to take action to bring about positive change. Young people and those who work with young people from all over the country undertake activities from the education pack. Some organise public events, quizzes and debates, invite guest speakers or have intercultural evenings. Many groups publicly display the work they have done in preparation for One World Week, or lead other people in doing a public action.
One World Week gives us the opportunity to:
- Explore the links between our own lives and those of others we may not even know, so that we can work together for justice and peace
- Celebrate the richness and diversity of belonging to one world
- Recognise our responsibility to care for the earth and share its resources fairly
- Challenge whatever keeps barriers intact or challenge what strengthens these barriers
- Bring issues of justice, rights, and equality to the centre of our family, youth organisation, school, church, friends, work and community life
- Work in solidarity with others in Ireland, Europe, and globally
One World Week has always aimed to involve and support young people and those who with young people in their own education rather than providing them with ready-made programmes and answers.
One World Week is based on the assumption that development education is best pursued within a framework of celebration. People are the most important resource in this form of education as they explore the world they live in, become aware of their potential for change, and commit themselves to take action.
The Sustainable Developments Goals and YOUth!
One World Week is a week of youth-led awareness raising, education and action that takes place throughout Ireland during November every year. Young people and those who work with young people learn about local, national and global justice issues and take action to bring about positive change.
The Sustainable Development Goals and YOUth
The theme for One World Week 2015 is The Sustainable Development Goals and YOUth. 2015 is a major year when crucial world summits take place in New York & Paris which will set the course for our people and planet for generations to come. This is a game changer!
Find out more here >>